KTM 690 Skid plate - pilot project

November 16, 2014 0 Comments

This spring I was looking to buy skid plate for my newly purchased 2008 KTM 690 Enduro. There is lot of good options out there, some reasonably priced, some not so reasonably priced. My favourite was Adventure Spec skid plate, but to "heavy looking". Brake cylinder coverage was nice addition. Flatland racing skid plate also looked good, clean and "light weight" look. I also considered KTM skid plate, some debated it bends to easy, but that way it soaks hits, and its easy to bend it back. And its cheap. Few other options too.

But in the end, my creative side prevailed and I decided to make one for my self.

After few days of lying under the bike and measuring, using Solid Works and paper models, I was satisfied with the result. Then I unfolded CAD model and cut 5 mm aluminium sheet on water jet. There were 3 separate parts - left, middle and right. Every part then folded to specific angles and welded together. I used solid aluminium blocks to fabricate those square blocks with tubes that enters the bikes frame (I did it in the hurry, that's why it looks so sloppy), then welded them to the skid plate.

Lot riders complain about buzzing sound from skid plate area, so I used rubber spacers (mounted to the skid plate) to eliminate vibration and buzzing. That worked out amazing.

Then I made upper bracket out of 5 mm aluminium, measured everything once again and welded it to the skid plate.

At the end - sand shooting and powder coating to black.

In his fantastic Advrider thread, Noah/RoninMoto wrote about how he broke part of the frame where skid plates attach to the bike, on the front. Apparently, skid plate was loaded with some parts (sprocket, if I recall correctly, but same can happen with mud) so it stressed mounting points of the frame, cracks appeared and collapse was inevitable. Off course, Noah is pushing his bike to the limits and chances are very small something like that could happen to me, but it was something to think about. So I made two slots in the upper front part of the skid plate and used plumbing clamps to secure skid plate attaching it to the upper part of the frame. Result is not pretty, nor is necessary, but its as close to "unbreakable" as it can be.

Also, I made small protective part for rear brake cylinder (copy/paste Touratech, so not for sale), so "belly" of the bike is all covered.

After hole season of riding (including one enduro race) with the bike, I have reasons to be proud of my skid plate. It performed very well, it took some serious hits, but it looks undamaged. I closely inspected frame sections related to skid plates, and no damage there too. Few close ups:

And few from some distance:

I wont be making this for sale as I currently don't have time to make everything I need for small series production, but I wanted to share this project, maybe somebody will get own ideas.


Also in Blog

Extension plate for Perun moto Husqvarna 701 Luggage rack
Extension plate for Perun moto Husqvarna 701 Luggage rack

October 01, 2017 0 Comments

We are manufacturing Luggage rack for Husqvarna 701 for some time now. It proved really well - it doesn't stick out from the footprint of bikes rear fender, it offers plenty strapping points for all sorts of soft luggage, it has pre-drilled holes for 1 gallon Rotopax can and it is very strong.

But, some riders are in need of larger top surface, that can support 30l or 40l duffle bags. That is why we launched Extension plate for Husqvarna 701 Luggage rack. 

Read More

Perun moto Husqvarna 701 Luggage rack - after wheelie gone wrong
Perun moto Husqvarna 701 Luggage rack - after wheelie gone wrong

July 31, 2017 0 Comments

Recently, customer had an accident on his Husqvarna 701 Enduro while he was performing a wheelie. Luckily, he was OK and bike wasn't damaged too much. Interesting thing happened to Perun moto Husqvarna 701 Luggage rack. 

Read More

Italy 2017 - road trip and impressions about the gear - Mosko Moto Scout 25 and Moto Skiveez Adventure
Italy 2017 - road trip and impressions about the gear - Mosko Moto Scout 25 and Moto Skiveez Adventure

July 08, 2017 0 Comments

In early July 2017 we went for a ride through Italian Alps. Only road riding. Four days of riding through the Alps, many passes and approx. 1000 km of twisties. Weather was great and bikes were flawless. Here are some impressions about Mosko Moto Scout 25 duffle bag and Moto Skiveez Adventure undergarment I used on this trip.

Read More